This article was provided by Rodger Johnson and the ORO Safety Committee. The content is from the US Fire Administration.
The winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. It’s fun to decorate for the winter holidays, but holiday decorations can increase your risk for a home fire. As you deck the halls this season, be fire smart.
Did you know that more than 1 in every 5 Christmas tree fires were caused by a heat source too close to the tree? Make sure your tree is at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, and space heaters. Please be sure to read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
Following a few simple tips can help make your holidays fire-safe:
- Water your live Christmas tree every day. A dry tree is a fire hazard. Trees too close to a heat source cause 1 in every 4 winter fires.
- Make sure you are using the right lights. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Choose holiday decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and things that can burn. More than 1/3 of home decoration fires are started by candles. Consider using flameless candles, they look very similar and are safer.
- Blow out lit candles and turn off all light strings and decorations when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure your decorations don’t block windows and doors.